Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
[Reviews - 523] Printer
Summary:

AU after Season 4. The year Justin turns 23, he and Brian get the news that over the next year he's going to gradually lose all of his hearing. The series tracks the next three years of their life as they manage their new reality, after-effects of the bashing, their eventual move to New York, and their ever-evolving relationship. Told in first-person chapters from their points of view and some outsiders, with some angst, a lot of hurt/comfort, and loads of humor. Never any big relationship drama, and no one ever takes themselves too seriously.

stories/2353/images/Hearing_Banner_Fotor_Resized_Two_08.04.jpg


Rated: R
Categories: QAF-U.S. FICTION, Angst With a Happy Ending, Brian/Justin, Deaf Character, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Michael/Ben, Sign Language Characters: Ben, Brian, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Daphne, Emmett, Gus, Jennifer Taylor, Justin, Lindsay, Melanie, Michael, Original Character(s)
Challenges: None
Series: The One Where Justin Loses His Hearing
Chapters: 166 Completed: No
Word count: 850971 Read: 291603
Published: August 12, 2018 Updated: January 17, 2024
Story Notes:

I've been frustrated with fics that I think show Deafness and sign language use inaccurately, so I wanted to write something that felt more true to that while still staying really, really in character. ASL is always in bold, and the grammar is switched into English for ease of reading.

The first twenty-six parts are the main series and are all in order. After that it's a lot more casual.


1. The One Where Justin Loses His Hearing by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 13] (7322 words)

I don't think I would have noticed anything at first if Brian weren't teasing him about it. “Hey,” he'd say, when he'd have to repeat a question, or when Justin missed a joke a the diner. “You going deaf, old man?”

 

A few years down the line, but AU after Season 4, for reasons that will become clear. NOT Michael-bashing!

2. The One Where Brian Learns Sign Language by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (8510 words)

 

Justin thinks I'm full of shit, but I swear to dog, I knew he was losing his hearing for a year before we were sitting in that dingy doctor's office reading brochures about decibels and playing with model eardrums. I just didn't think it was worth mentioning.

3. The One Where Justin Gets Sick by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (9158 words)

I think everyone, even Brian, thought I understood a lot more than I did for a long time.

4. The One Where Daphne Comes to Visit by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (5659 words)

I saw Brian first, standing at baggage claim, that smarmy half-smile on his face, holding a sign over his head like that guy in Say Anything: “The Inimitable Daphne Chanders.”

5. The One Where Emmett Doesn't Babysit by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (4320 words)

I can count on one hand the number of times Brian Kinney has called me, and one finger if we don't count the times he was drunk and meant to call someone else.


Skype wouldn't have actually existed at this point, especially not for phones, but idk maybe when Justin lost his hearing Brian invested in it or something. Just go with it.

 

6. The One Where Cynthia Tags Along by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (5228 words)

“Oh, and Cynthia? One more thing?”

He always does this. He calls me into his office for some completely tedious bullshit, stalls by going over it in way, way too much detail, and then, when my hand is on the door, tells me the actual reason he wanted to talk to me. For someone with a well-earned reputation for overconfidence, Brian Kinney is fucking chickenshit about asking for favors.


Simcom--simultaneous communication. Signing and speaking at the same time. Very, very hard to do well.

7. The One Where Justin Forgets He's Married by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (6720 words)

When I was standing on the street outside the place I didn't think was my apartment anymore at two AM on a Wednesday, I texted Justin.


Not Justin POV, despite the title; we're hearing from his friend Gregory today. To refresh your memory, he's the first Deaf person Justin met back in TOW Brian Learns Sign Language, and he introduced Justin to Deaf culture.

8. The One Where Justin Does Good Work by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (6086 words)

You can't call Brian Kinney sweet, but sometimes you want to anyway.

 


Ted POV, but you guys give me more views when I put Justin or Brian's names in the title instead of the POV character. I'm onto you.

9. The One Where Brian Meets Justin's Brother by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (8731 words)

Now, Craig Taylor turned around from the hostess and there we fucking were, two foreign superpowers in the middle of a a packed restaurant lobby. Negotiating Justin like a treaty, I thought vaguely to myself, though the metaphor didn't really fit, since I was always trying to pass Justin off to the highest bidder anyway and Craig, of course, didn't want him.

10. The One Where Justin Cries All Winter by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (12803 words)

"Brian says I'm crying all the time," I said.

Technically, what Brian said was more along the lines of, "I really should have gone with my gut your last allergy season and bought stock in tissues, because for God's sake, Justin, pull yourself together," but Brian's way of expressing concern is an acquired taste.

11. The One Where Brian Talks About Relationships by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (4071 words)

"Why does everyone think they deserve their own personal fucking confession about how I feel about Justin? Who the fuck are we saying needs that in this equation? I don't need it. Justin doesn't need it. It's for you. You need it. And just fucking spare me. You want security, reassurance, sappy little platitudes? Get them from your own relationship, not mine."

 


 

Just a little one scene thing. Eventually I'll get them to New York, I swear...

12. The One Where Brian and Justin Take Manhattan by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (4598 words)

I won't pretend there wasn't a part of me that thought Brian was still gonna bail. That he'd stand alone in that empty loft and panic and sneak out the back way and run for the hills or some shit, or that at the very least I'd wait in the car for half an hour and finally go up and have to drag him, kicking and screaming, off the bed platform.

13. The One Where Brian Does Some Shopping by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (2413 words)

"You always said rings were a meaningless heterosexual ritual," the blond one said.

"I know, but then I thought about it and realized how fucking gay it is for men to wear jewelry."

14. The One Where Justin Gets Better by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (6254 words)

"So," I said. "You know how you were thinking about asking your shrink to up your antidepressant?"

He looked at me warily. “Yeah.”

"Any further thoughts on that? Because I just looked at that painting you finished and now I’m thinking about killing myself, too."

15. The One Where Brian Isn't There by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (6188 words)

“It's...you're sending me to New York because he's not answering his phone at two in the morning?”

“Noooo,” Brian said, with fake-patience. “I'm sending you to New York because he texted me while I was in a meeting an hour ago telling me he felt like he was going to have a seizure, and now he's not answering his phone. Now don't you feel like an idiot? Get up.”

 


 

I really needed just some pure, naked h/c, so here we are.

16. The One Where Brian Doesn't Worry by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5521 words)

You are so fucking sick, I signed on him, like one of those acting class games where you're somebody else's arms. Shut up, my high school had a drama requirement. I mean, so did Justin's, but mine was more “take an elective” and less “experience a traumatic hate crime that will haunt you for the rest of your life,” but six on one, half a dozen on the other.

 


 

Takes place immediately after "The One Where Brian Isn't There."

17. The One Where Justin Goes to a Hockey Game by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4277 words)

"I hate hockey," Justin said.

Brian said, "Really? I didn't know that, because you haven't told me five hundred times."

"I still don't get why I have to be here."

"People like me more when you're around. You make me look like I have a soul."

18. The One Where Justin Gets a Present by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (2719 words)

He juggled the bags into one arm and held out his hand. “Sorry. Brian Kinney.”

“Justin's Brian?”

“As long as you promise to never, ever say that in front of him, sure."

 


 

I almost called this "The One Where Literally Nothing Happens."

19. The One Where Brian Freaks Out by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5059 words)

"I mean, it couldn’t have anything to do with you. You said it yourself. Nothing happened."

I said, "Yeah, that doesn’t always stop Brian."

20. The One Where Brian Goes to a Party by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (3505 words)

“You expect too much from him,” she said.

“I expect nothing at all from him! That's my point. I'm not waiting around on tenterhooks to see what Brian does next. He can do whatever. He's not my trained seal, so I'm not going to feed him fish.”

21. The One Where Justin Freaks Out by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4824 words)

When Gus was younger, I used to make up stories for him sometimes before he went to bed, and he always wanted the exact same scenario: there's a big misunderstanding, everything goes horribly wrong, and then at the end everyone laughs about it.

So, in case you have the same high-brow tastes as my son, here's a story about that.

22. The One Where Everybody's Scared, Part 1 by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5955 words)

“I am always present for him. I fall apart after. And he is gonna be a fucking mess for God knows how long, he doesn't need to be fucking waiting around for the other shoe to drop. I am dropping all the shoes right the fuck now!” Brian paused. “But how, though.”

 


 

Part one of...four? I think?

23. The One Where Everybody's Scared, Part 2 by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (7590 words)

“I've never really seen him in pain before,” Brian said, his voice kind of blank, like it was slightly interesting but not really. “I didn't really think about it. I've seen him sick a million times. I've never really seen him in pain.”

That was going to change.

 


 

Part 2 of 4. Next one's Brian's POV.

So this is heavy, and after some comments on the last one I feel the need to point out that if you don't like what I write, no one's making you read it *shrug*

24. The One Where Everybody's Scared, Part 3 by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3582 words)

Honestly, when Justin got pneumonia, it was sort of a relief.

 


 

Part 3 of 4, and not really living up to the title so much anymore...

25. The One Where Everybody's Scared, Part 4 by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (5894 words)

Brian kept his eyes on his paper. Stay away from the edge, okay?

He got to be a little overprotective right now. I could be patient.

 


 

Part 4 of 4!

26. The One Where Justin Finishes His Work by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (3866 words)

So, okay. Here's where we're gonna end this, with a list of shit Brian Kinney never, ever would have said if he had to voice it out loud. Things his hands said that he definitely didn't mean them to say. Maybe that seems like kind of a flippant place to finish, but...

I don't know. You'll see.

 

 

27. Emergency Contact by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3214 words)

Once, years before Justin lost his hearing, Brian dropped a shelf on his head. Set between seasons 3 and 4, fleshing out a reference from "The One Where Brian Isn't There." Requires absolutely no knowledge of the series, since it takes place before anything starts, and works as a canon gapfiller.
For sylvianguyen.

28. On The Table by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3680 words)

Gus comes to visit and sparks a conversation Justin and Brian had thus far managed to avoid.


 

Set in late winter or early spring, shortly before Justin's 27th birthday, a couple months after the last scene in TOW Justin Finishes His Work.

I hate writing ending scenes so I've decided to be self-indulgent and just end these casual ones when I've said everything I want to say, hence the lack of a proper send-off for Gus at the end of this one. But like...is that really why we're here?

29. A Change of Plans by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4068 words)

An innocent question from one of Justin's friends leads to him revealing something he's been keeping for a while. Also, Brian finds out about Grindr.

30. Long Night's Journey Into Day by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5085 words)

--Does anyone ever realize life while they live it...every, every minute?
--No. Saints and poets, maybe...they do some.

Brian's in Australia, and Justin isn't answering his phone.

 


 

The events of The One Where Brian Isn't There, from Brian's point of view. The One Where Brian IS There?

31. Do You Look at Your Life by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4954 words)

Justin has an important decision to make, and Brian won't help.

32. Negotiations by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3159 words)

After a brush with danger, Brian and Justin discuss their relationship dynamic.

 


 

For Charlie. Thanks for the plot bunny!

33. Easy by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5426 words)

People are always falling in love with you anyway, Deaf and hearing. You're just too stupid to notice.
 
Brian walks us through a brief history of times people have gotten themselves all twisted up over Justin Taylor.


For Becca_Hope

From a line from "A Change of Plans" and loosely inspired by the song "Easy to Love" by the Jezebels, if you like a little music with your fic.

34. One Bad Day by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (6694 words)

Everybody makes mistakes.

35. Modern Love by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (4752 words)

A closer look at the ten minute courthouse ceremony Brian would later call "the greatest wedding the world has ever seen."

 


For TrueIllusion.

From TOW Justin gets better:

 

Two years ago that day, we'd gotten up early, dressed in our finest jeans and ratty t-shirts, and driven ourselves up to Vermont and gotten hitched. Justin was carsick and cranky and we argued about music most of the way up and stayed in some crappy motel he paid for. Even though we were still talking then, we looked up how to say “I do,” in sign language before we got to the state house and signed it out for each other while some bored secretary married us in about two and a half minutes. We gave each other a perfunctory kiss, walked out into a cold, sunny afternoon, and had lukewarm delivery pizza as our big post-wedding meal, after we fucked up an appetite. We stayed up late looking for gay porn on the motel's pay per view and drove home in the morning, stopping at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription Justin no longer had to worry about affording.

 

It was, I am absolutely certain, the greatest wedding this world has ever seen, and you fuckers can eat your hearts out.

 

Let's expand.

36. A Matter of Timing by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (4592 words)

Brian flopped down on the couch, face in the cushions, and groaned theatrically. “I'm in a fucking time loop. Nine years later and a seventeen-year-old Taylor is forcing their way into my apartment.”


For templemaker.

Takes place shortly after the "The One Where Everybody's Scared" burn saga.

37. Respite by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (2901 words)

Everything is fine, and Brian has concerns about that.

 


 

For Jg1225,and also for templemarker, who asked me for boring.

38. A Slight Inconvenience by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (4586 words)

Justin's sick on an important day, but Brian has it under control.

 


 

plain! naked! low angst! hurt/comfort! If it were up to me this would be all I write, but I try to keep it interesting for you guys. And then sometimes...I am just self-indulgent as hell.

Takes place a couple months after our girl Emily starts working for Brian.

39. All Together by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5578 words)

Worlds collide when Brian and Justin come home for a funeral.

 


 

For luv_u_4eva_418. Tried something different here, and I don't think I'm really in love with how it turned out, but...it's written, so might as well post it, ha.

40. The First Five Years by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (7739 words)

Eighty-eight percent of Deaf/hearing marriages fail in the first five years.

Let's check in on Brian and Justin's.

41. If They Can Do It by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3807 words)

Brian and Justin interfere in Daphne's love life.

42. Dear Justin by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (9823 words)

Some of Ben's correspondence with Justin, from 2003 to 2010, as Justin's life changes.


Helps to be very familiar with at least the first 26 fics, but you'll be fine, don't worry.

43. No Apologies by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (4678 words)

The Michael/Justin tension reaches a breaking point.

 


 

Takes place shortly after "All Together."

I almost called this one "Boiling Point" and then realized that would be a needlessly dark reference for this series, lol.

44. Absolution by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4332 words)

Justin runs into someone he'd rather forget.

45. Something New by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (6602 words)

Brian, Justin, and Daphne tell their New York friends about the bashing, and Brian has some realizations about his new relationships here.

Takes place shortly after "Absolution."

46. Family Bonding by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (3549 words)

Brian's out of town when Justin gets a phone call.

47. Anniversario by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (8492 words)

Brian gets some new perspective in Italy.

48. Mixed Doubles by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5774 words)

Brian and Justin reevaluate their old rules.


Aaaand here's where I lose half of you! I was really nervous to write this one, but this is something that felt true to the characters for me and something I wanted to do for a while, and a few of you didn't run screaming when I mentioned it in the comments of the last one, so...here we are.

49. Under Pressure by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (9360 words)

Brian gets a little possessive when Justin's hospitalized.


The antler-bashing promised in our last fic. Also, for someone who talks a big game about centering the sick character, it took me a really, really embarrassingly long time to write a hospital fic from Justin's POV, so here's that.

50. A Kind of Magic by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (10383 words)

Justin's biggest show ever is opening on Christmas Eve, but he's not exactly feeling in the spirit of things. Brian helps.


#50!! Wanted something that had something new--note that explicit rating--but also felt kind of tonally like a summary of the series, so...here we go. Kind of a sequel in spirit to "The One Where Justin Cries All Winter," because I like that one.

51. Promises by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4625 words)

A problem at Kinnetik has ramifications for Brian and Justin, and neither of them handles it all that well.


idk they'd been really nice to each other in the last few and I was getting bored. Do me a favor and don't play the blame game in the comments? They're both messing up; it happens.

While I've got you here, I make all these fanvids of these two crazy kids and they were just sitting on my laptop, so I put them on on a youtube channel. You can see those here if such things interest you: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNaZG-SGtzMh1c2UTvNe-nQ There is, in fact, a 24 part Brian and Justin: The Musical if that's something you need.

kay I'll shut up now. also there's now an email address in my profile in case you want to reach me. Okay, actually shutting up.

52. Laying on of Hands by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (7621 words)

Justin's short two senses for a few days, and it's a nightmare.

See End for Notes.

53. Like Diamonds by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (12263 words)

Brian's perspective on the events of "A Laying On Of Hands," and what happens afterward.

somehow this became the longest thing in the universe?

l

54. Ducks in a Row by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5543 words)

“Look,” I said. “You don't run in and play hearing savior to the Deaf kids. Trust me. Trust me. I have screwed this up more times than I can count. No matter how much you think this time is different, no matter how much it feels like an exception, you do not rescue the Deaf kids.”

“But—”

“Do not rescue the Deaf kids.”

She stared at me.

“Do not,” I said, “rescue the Deaf kids.”

55. From New York by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (6556 words)

Justin gets an opportunity he can't pass up, but it's a little too familiar for Brian.

Notes:

Part 1 of what'll be a 3 story plot arc! The next part's in Justin's POV, and the third's going to be from one of the Pittsburgh people, but I haven't decided which. Who would you like to hear from?

56. To California by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (7202 words)

Justin hasn't been on his own in a long time.

57. And Back Again by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (5838 words)

Justin's been in LA for four months, but will he make it home for Christmas?

58. At Home in the World by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (5564 words)

What's fair and what's not isn't as straightforward as it used to be.


idk I feel like with *gestures around* THE WORLD, we could all use a little reminder today of what we deserve. Love to everyone suffering through the news cycle.

59. No Safer Place by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (6467 words)

Eleven years later, the same group is at the same hospital, waiting for Justin to wake up.

60. You Must Remember This by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (6103 words)

Justin's got a long road back to where he was before accident, Brian's being unprecedentedly amazing, and there is something, something in the back of Justin's mind that he just can't quite recall...

61. Sparks Fly by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4299 words)

Justin's trying to make a big decision, and Brian doesn't understand his hesitation. Things get heated.

62. Five by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5626 words)

Sometimes bodies don't do what they're supposed to.

63. Ah, Wilderness by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (3625 words)

Justin is not the outdoorsy type.

64. House Call by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4214 words)

Brian still gives good advice, even when he and Justin both have the flu.


y'all i got a queer as folk tattoo today does it get more trash

65. A Story in Two Parts by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (5386 words)

So this contradicts a bit with something Brian told us in "Like Diamonds," and we're just going to be fine with that because...it's fanfic, it's not that serious.

66. Gender Reveal by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4964 words)

Brian showed Justin the world. It just wasn't the same world for both of them.

67. Miranda by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4272 words)

Justin doesn't know what's going on.

So instead of bringing them to Pittsburgh to announce the baby...here's this heavy as hell thing and the start of what will probably be a 3-story arc. THEN they can go to Pittsburgh, or PIttsburgh might come between stories 2 and 3. We'll see.

68. And to Hold by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (7131 words)

Brian has some shit to work through. His perspective during "Miranda," and what happens after.

69. Tidings by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (6980 words)

Brian and Justin come home for Christmas in the aftermath of "Miranda," with news.

70. Typical by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (3241 words)

What a normal, non-crisis day looks like for the Taylor/Kinney household nowadays.


look you said you wanted one where nothing happens.

71. A House In Virginia by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (6678 words)

Justin's started seeing someone, and Brian's not having the easiest time with it...but not for the reason either of them thinks.


And that's 400k words!

72. Adaptation by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4292 words)

Justin's working on his bad habits.

 

For ThatAj.

73. And Many More by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (2569 words)

Justin turns 30, Brian takes him on a day trip, nothing happens.

ohhhh it's so little and pointless

74. Welcome by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (4626 words)

Justin's daughter is born.

i am becoming a sap in my old age

75. Keep Breathing by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (4550 words)

Justin has bronchitis. Brian's in his wheelhouse.


I realized we didn't really have any where Justin was non-emergency sick and we got to see how Brian handles it when there aren't any spectators.

Also I really just needed some pure, indulgent, minorly-sick Justin, so here we are. Ask me for more of him, I dare ya.

76. The Thing About Fairy Tales by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (10972 words)

Justin's breakup with Ethan and reunification with Brian...how I think it should have gone. Requires no knowledge of the series.

 


 

Has small references to some series stuff and Hiatus, but you're fine if you haven't read them.

77. Hiatus by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3305 words)

S3. Justin has an asthma attack from Ethan's cat, and Brian's getting sick of waiting.


y'all I don't even know what happened here.

78. Flashback by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3967 words)

Claire needs to talk to Brian, but she finds someone else instead.

Notes:

and now back to our regularly scheduled stories! Takes place about a month after "Keep Breathing."

80. Into My Night by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (6087 words)

Justin can't sleep.

If you like a little music with your fics, song for this one is Insomnia by IAMX.

81. Kindred by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (4001 words)

 Brian really only knows how to take care of Justin.

(See the end of the work for notes.)

81. Outrageous Fortune by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3881 words)

Justin's daughter has a medical emergency, and not everyone feels the same way about it.

Next four stories are planned, score.

82. Saturday by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (3207 words)

Molly needs a brother, and Brian fills in for Justin.

 

the next one's going to be in someone's POV besides Brian's, for the first time in...let's not check how long.

83. Bring Your Daughter to Work Day by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (1048 words)

There's a baby in the office, and Cynthia is not amused.

 

just a tiny thing, with the dubious honor of being the first fic in the series that doesn't have both Brian and Justin in it. But we're about to start a major thing that will more than make up for that...buckle up. But first some sweetness.

84. Pause by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (8125 words)

Something is very wrong.

I warned ya.

85. Stop by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (7743 words)

Something is very, VERY wrong.

Starts immediately where "Pause" let off.

86. Atypical by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (6595 words)

Set two weeks or so after "Stop." A follow-up of sorts to "Typical," this time from Brian's perspective. What a day looks like right now.

87. Sister Winter by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (8546 words)

Molly's having a hard time going back to normal after the events of "Pause" and "Stop."

88. Gratitude by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4768 words)

“I have just been informed,” Brian said, with an edge in his voice that told me not to ask questions. “That we are having Thanksgiving.”

 

(See the end of the work for notes.)

89. Indoor Living by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (6983 words)

Quarantine isn't all it's cracked up to be.

aaaand that's 500k! wow wow wow.

90. How Far We've Come by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (6740 words)

Evan takes over with Justin when Brian catches a cold.

91. Until the Scenery Changes by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (3990 words)

Brian keeps looking at real estate listings.

This goes out to us smiling through our homophobic relatives this week. i love you.

92. If My Heart Was a House by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (3014 words)

 

Brian searches for a new place for him and Justin to live, but nothing feels quite right...

93. Home for the Holidays by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (6443 words)

Our boys face some demons.

So uh...this one's really rough. If you have ideas for a happy one next, let me know? It's not quite time to move them into the new house but I'm not sure what to do with them until then, so...feel free to guide me.

94. Meeting in the Middle by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5636 words)

Justin's working on his self-advocacy, and Brian has a lot of feelings about it.

95. The Big Easy by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (3469 words)

Brian plans a bachelor party for a heterosexual.

 

Thanks for your patience!

96. Permanence by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (6594 words)

Justin gets some news, and Brian makes some decisions.

97. The Best Medicine by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (2445 words)

Brian and Justin spend a whole day in bed.

 


I am still here, y'all need to trust me. I have not abandoned you. I am just busy. Is okay.

98. Pack Up Your Troubles by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (2797 words)

Brian and Justin prepare for their next big move.

99. Stiches by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (3961 words)

Justin has a seizure, but it's Brian who ends up in the ER. They're okay.

100. Gonna Make This Place Your Home by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4139 words)

Brian and Justin move to their new house.


Number 100! Had to make it a milestone.

101. Underwater by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5812 words)

Justin can't breathe so well.

Just pure h/c nothingness.

Also I know I've been really awful about replying to comments but I swear I read and love them. I just get dumb anxiety about answering them. I'm neurotic. But thank you for leaving them and please don't stop.

102. Michael and Evan by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5705 words)

Michael comes to stay at the house for a weekend while Brian's out of town.

 

Sometimes I give up just trying to find a title.

103. Comfort by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (6343 words)

Bad days come in different forms.

 

at some point i'm going to write something that's not just pure h/c, but really like...am i actually?

104. Unsaid by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5563 words)


Justin gets some test results, Brian gets a new account, and they end up saying a lot of things out loud.



 

105. Capable by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (2866 words)

Brian gives a driving lesson. 

 

For ThatAJ.

 Happy slightly early birthday, ThatAJ!!

Note:  I don't actually know how to drive a stick ship so excuse my errors.

106. The Happiest Place on Earth by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (7250 words)

Thirteen-year-old Gus joins a branch of his untraditional family tree on a trip to Disney World.

(See the end of the work for notes.)

107. In Place Of by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (8100 words)

The Taylor-Kinney household has some role-shifting when something goes wrong with Evan. It's not easy.

I have been working up to this arc for a WHILE now. Hope you like!

108. Better by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (7605 words)

Justin might not be the best at multitasking.

109. Come On by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4889 words)

Brian makes an unpopular decision for reasons nobody quite understands.

110. Come Out by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (7041 words)

If Justin wanted Brian to know he was having a hard time, he could tell him, and if Brian wanted to know how Justin was doing, he could ask, and if knowing Justin needed him was enough to keep him here, he never would have left.

Part 2 of a 3 part arc.

111. Come Here by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5666 words)

Brian explains why he went to London.

112. Saltwater by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (5814 words)

The gang comes to check out Brian and Justin's beach house and have a lovely weekend, but not without a few hiccups.

 

Y'all said you wanted fluff.

113. Problem Solving by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (3446 words)

Brian can't always fix everything. 

114. Safe House by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (1881 words)

Justin has a nightmare at the beach house.

 





Notes:Hi. This is categorically NOTHING and it's so short, but it's the first thing I've finished in ages and I wanted to post SOMETHING. I've missed these boys too much.


115. Three of Us by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (2587 words)

Brian and Justin have a bad night. Evan's there.

116. Compound by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (2912 words)

An interpreter comes into the ER for our heroes.

117. Lovers in a Dangerous Time by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (2391 words)

This all hits different for sick people.

Notes:

This story references the current COVID-19 pandemic. Please skip it if you’re not in a place to read about it.

This takes place sort of ephemerally out of timeline. I will go back to the existing storylines, but a lot of people asked me how my boys were handling this, and as a sick person I had some stuff to say anyway.

118. Haunted by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (3922 words)

Evan's past resurfaces, and Brian caves to the pressure.

 




I'm not super happy with how this turned out but...I miss posting, so. If you have any ideas for things you'd like to see, please let me know! I have one planned.

119. Overnight by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (4153 words)

Everyone gets locked in at Kinnetik.

 

120. How to Be Alone by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (2673 words)


Justin has a problem, and a solution.

 

121. Sinai by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (3133 words)


Evan's feeling drawn to something, and Brian and Justin have feelings about that.



 

122. Befriend by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 7] (4493 words)

Justin doesn't make new friends very often. Especially not hearing ones.

123. Coming of Age by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 7] (4807 words)

124. Split Level by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (2787 words)

Brian has his hands full, but doesn't really mind.

Notes:

there is no point to this one whatsoever.

125. Hey Jealousy by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (3207 words)

Someone's interested in Evan. Brian and Justin react...differently.

126. Ballet by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (2780 words)

Brian says it all the time: "Justin pulls his weight

127. The Ballad of the Ugliest Lamp on the Face of the Earth by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 7] (3763 words)

Justin's art opening doesn't go as planned, and there's not much Brian can do about it.

128. Guardian of the Sick by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (2305 words)

Justin finally gets his service dog, but there's trouble afoot.

129. The Week It Didn't Stop Raining by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (3051 words)

130. Duty of Care by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (3862 words)

Brian has very little to complain about. But very little isn't nothing.

131. A Bigger Boat by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 6] (1328 words)

Our boys go shopping, at a familiar furniture store.

132. Love, Justin, Part 1 by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (7364 words)

133. Talking About It by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (3378 words)

Brian's not one for acknowledging his trauma, but Justin doesn't have much of a choice.

134. Date Night by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (2169 words)

Brian and Justin spend an evening in Manhattan.    

135. Pain Management by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (2539 words)

Sometimes Justin Feels Like Screaming

136. Dirty Magic by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4042 words)

Brian and Evan run into a familiar face at the club.

137. Three Acts by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (3797 words)

Our interpreter from "Compound" works three medical appointments for Justin.
I actually feel bad about this one.

138. Love, Justin, Part 2 by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (3532 words)

More letters between Ben and Justin, starting right after "Three Acts."

139. April Showers by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (1841 words)

140. Awaited by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (4806 words)

It's a big day for Evan, but it's not easy for Justin.

141. Sleeping With Ghosts by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (1994 words)

Evan goes under anesthesia.

142. A Consult by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (2336 words)

A new hire gets some tips from Justin at Kinnetik.

143. In From the Rain by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 7] (2403 words)

Brian wakes up in the middle of the night to an empty bed.

144. Miracle by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4298 words)

Brian tries to keep his promises.

145. Second City by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (10797 words)

Justin and company go to Chicago for a major art event, and Justin reconsiders his goals.

146. The Origin of Love by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 5] (12781 words)

It's time for some conversations we've been avoiding.

147. Jellyfish by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 4] (5142 words)

A week at the beach, where everyone takes a breather....so to speak.

Little bit of cool down between the last one and, um, the next one.

 

148. Mother's Day by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (8140 words)

Brian's not used to standing on the sidelines of an emergency.

149. Fear by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (4805 words)

Evan does something unexpected, and Brian and Justin deal with the aftermath.

150. Interlude by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (3454 words)

Everyone settles down after the events of "Fear."

151. The Art of Introductions by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (3408 words)

After a scare, Brian opens up a bit about Justin.

152. Happiness by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (2435 words)

Just a really good day.

153. Forever Hold Your Peace by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (2523 words)

Daphne's wedding, finally.

This is really not up to my standards tbh and I debated whether or not to post it, and I'm annoyed that this is #150! Truth is, my wedding was a few weeks ago and it was a stressful experience for me, so writing about a wedding was just noooot fun and I clearly just wanted to skim over it. But I wanted #150 to be something important, and I know you guys have been waiting for the wedding. So hopefully you like this little fic more than I do.

154. Pride by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (4175 words)

Molly's figuring some things about herself.

 

This fic is dedicated to people who keep requesting explicit sex scenes from me. I gotta spell this out? Please stop doing it!

155. Safe and Sound by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (4432 words)

Justin can't really eat anything.

156. Laid Up by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (4515 words)

Brian has an injury.

157. Surprise by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (2845 words)

News travels fast.

158. Time Off by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5150 words)

Gus joins the gang at the beach house and gets confused by his father.

159. Snowed In by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (6999 words)

A snowstorm keeps everyone inside for a few days. It's nice, for some of them.

800k eyyyyy

160. The Greatest Bastard by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (7364 words)

Brian juggles Justin, Evan, an emergency at Kinnetik, and the flu.

Written as a request for both the boys sick on the Kinnetik couch, which ended up being a rather short portion of the fic, but an effort was made.

161. What I Remember by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 3] (4891 words)

Brian and Evan literally and figuratively unpack their past alone, together, and with Justin.

162. C'est La Vie by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 2] (3571 words)

Justin runs into an old friend, and Brian's learning French for no reason.

163. Equilibrium by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5342 words)

There's a bird in the house. It causes some problems.

164. Forever is the Sweetest Con by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (9579 words)

Brian gets stuck on a very unwelcome business trip while there are issues at home.

 

idk why it's so long but here have a taylor swift title

165. Baby, I've Been Here Before (Part 1 of 2) by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 1] (5079 words)

Brian's caretaking skills, then and now. Part 1 of 2.

 

There's h/c, and then there's self-indulgent h/c, and then there's REALLY self-indulgent hc, and then there's whatever the hell this is. There IS a point to this, but not really until part 2.

This part takes place in early Season 4. It helps to be familiar with Homecoming/The Thing About Fairytales, since there are references to how I got them back together, but it's not super crucial. The next part will be in our current timeline.

166. Baby, I've Been Here Before (Part Two) by LaVieEnRose [Reviews - 0] (4138 words)

Brian's caretaking skills, then and now. Part 2 of 2.