Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin meets Brian's previous lover, while a stranger arrives at Britin Manor, causing questions about his appearance.

 

- Later That Day, at the Cottage -

 

"Master Kinney, welcome back. Please come inside where it's nice and warm," Carl invites Brian in.  Brian nods curtly.  Being a lot taller than the top of the door frame of Carl's cottage, Brian has to duck down to enter more easily. Drew does the same. Justin, who's a lot shorter than Brian, walks in as well and stands quietly by the door.

 

"Mr. Horvath, I'd like you to meet my companion, Master Taylor. I've asked him to join me here today if you don't mind. Master Taylor actually thought it might be helpful to show Emmett something from his past, something that might evoke his memory of how things used to be..." Brian stops mid-sentence as he tries to compose himself.  "Can I see him now?" Brian asks after a slight pause.

 

"I guess you can. He's in the back garden now.  In the past couple of days, I have noticed he kept pointing at the window, and I figured he's trying to tell me something. Yesterday after it stopped raining, I decided I might let him sit outside for a bit during the day before it gets cold, and he seems to enjoy it in his own quiet way," Carl explains.

 

Brian walks through the small drawing room towards the exit to the back garden, holding the white silk scarf in his hand.

 

"Emmett? Can you hear me?" Brian sounds hesitant as he approaches the bench where Emmett is seated.

 

Emmett's face is turned away from Brian, but he can already notice that the tall, frail man isn't wearing the nightgown and cap he was dressed in when he first saw him at the cottage a week ago.

 

 He's now dressed in light brown breeches, an ivory colored blouse, and a brown, wool, morning jacket.  His hair seems to be less disheveled than before. "It's me, Brian..." Brian repeats his words, a little louder this time, but not too loud as he doesn't want to scare the vulnerable man.

 

Brian stands aside for a few more minutes, clutching the white silk scarf in his hand.  He's contemplating if he should still stand there, waiting in vain for Emmett to even respond to him, or if he should turn around and leave the cottage, giving up any hope of Emmett even acknowledging who he is, and what they used to share.

 


 

- Same Time, Inside the Cottage -

 

Justin stands near the window, overlooking the garden for a few more minutes, silently following Brian as he approaches the garden bench where Emmett is seated. The bench is obscured by a garden shed, so Justin can't see much from where he's standing, but he knows that's how it should be.

 

"Would you join me in the drawing room for some tea?" Carl offers.

 

"Yes, please." Both Justin and Drew nod as they take their seats on the sofa.

 

Carl returns a few moments later, carrying a tray with a teapot along with cups and saucers.

 

"Let me help you," Justin says, reaching out to help the elderly man with the heavy tray.

 

"There's no need for that, Master Taylor; you're a guest in this house," Carl says as he puts the tray on the table in front of them. "Cream and sugar?" He turns to Justin, clearly trying to show he's the perfect host.

 

"Just cream, thank you," Justin replies.

 

As Carl hands his guests their teacups they all sit and sip quietly for a few more minutes.

 

"Forgive me for asking, Mr. Horvath," Justin breaks the silence after placing his cup down. "I was wondering how you manage here..." He stops before he asks too many direct questions.

 

Carl stares at the young master and a deep sigh escapes his lips. "It's not easy, especially since my dear Mrs. Horvath passed away three years ago. May she rest in peace," he says. "After my wife passed away, I thought there was no need for me to have a housekeeper here, so I had to let her go. Then after Mr. De Honeycutt arrived here and I started taking care of him myself, it didn't occur to me that I needed someone else here to help me...I even do the laundry and cook our meals now."  

 

"I didn't mean to pry, Mr. Horvath," Justin apologizes.

 

"No, not at all, Master Taylor," Carl says. "I really appreciate your interest in me."

 

"That's the way it should be," Justin replies softly. He gets up from the sofa and walks towards the window overlooking the back garden.

 

Drew, who's been rather quiet until now, notices Justin's restlessness.

 

"Do you think I should go outside to check on Master Kinney, Sir?" he asks.

 

"I think it might be a good idea," Justin says with a nod. It's not that he doesn't trust Brian to handle things by himself, but since his first encounter with his former lover was so traumatic, it's best if someone else would be present.

 

"I'll be right back, Sir," Drew says as he walks through the open glass door leading to the garden.

 


 

- Outside in the Garden -

 

Brian shakes his head in frustration and decides to turn away to move back inside to the drawing room where Drew and Justin are waiting with Carl.

 

"Is everything alright, Sir?" Drew asks, walking towards Brian on the paved path a few steps away from where he left Emmett.

 

"I tried to speak to him... I really tried," Brian answers with a sigh. "I even thought I'd show him this," he points at the white scarf in his hand."I guess it is pointless now; there's really no hope," Brian almost sounds defeated.

 

"Can you show me this scarf, please, Sir?" Drew turns to Brian.

 

"It's one of a set of two that Emmett had brought with him from France when he first came to America. He brought them in his suitcase when I offered to have him stay with me in Britin. The other one was lost when he... disappeared that night. I don't even know why I kept this one. I saw it in my wardrobe last week. It was actually Master Taylor's idea I should bring it here and show it to Emmett, in hopes it might evoke his memory..."  Brian explains.

 

"Your companion is a very smart, sensitive gentleman, if I should say so myself, Sir," Drew says.

 

A hint of a smile brightens Brian's face as Drew praises his young lover.

 

"I truly appreciate your kind words about Master Taylor, but... I fail to understand how it would help revive Emmett's memory," Brian replies, pulling his lips inwards.

 

"I guess I should show you this..." Drew says, gently pulling out a piece of fabric from the inside pocket of his jacket.

 

"I found it on a bush near the lake the same afternoon I met Mr. Horvath and he took me to his cottage to meet Mr. De Honeycutt," Drew explains patiently. He shows Brian the disintegrating piece of fabric with the initials EDH on it.

 

"It's the same scarf he wore that night..." Brian whispers in dismay.

 

"It is.  That's why I agree with your companion's idea. I think we might try to show Emmett the other scarf after all," Drew suggests, as they make their way back to the bench where Emmett is still seated.


 

- Same Time, the Drawing Room at the College -

 

"He's been coming here every day for the last week, you know," Carl mentions to Justin.

 

Justin looks puzzled as he stares at Carl.

 

"Mr. Boyd has also been coming here every morning for the past week," Carl explains as he stands by the fireplace.

 

"I see..." Justin replies.

 

"It started the day after he and Master Kinney first called on us, then the next morning Mr. Boyd arrived here again. He said he had decided to stop by here on his way to the pine tree lot, but he's been coming here ever since," Carl says.

 

Justin can't resist a small smile, knowing it was Brian's idea to send Drew to the pine lot, so he could keep his promise to have a nice Christmas tree in Britin. What he didn't know was that Drew had called upon Mr. Horvath's cottage for frequent visits.

 

"It's really generous of Mr. Boyd to call on you so often," Justin notes.

 

"It seems as though Mr. De Honeycutt is getting quite accustomed to these visits as well," Carl points out. "He's still not talking, but I'm starting to see a change in him."

 

"Mr. Boyd is a good man," Justin states.

 

"He is indeed," Carl nods. "Well, it looks like I'd better add more logs to the fire," Carl says.

 

"I can actually help you with that," Justin says.

 

"You may not, Sir; I won't have it," Carl protests as he grabs a few logs from the wicker basket on the floor near the fireplace.

 

"I've done that before, many times," Justin says, much to Carl's dismay. "I was born in the village not far from here, and grew up in a wooden shack. Then I began my domestic service at the estate," Justin discloses.

 

"I beg your pardon, Sir. I had no idea," Carl says.

 

"There's really no need for that, Mr. Horvath. I was lucky I found a home at the manor," he adds.

 

Carl nods back at the young master and turns his attention to the open glass door.

 

"They're coming back. There they are now," he points out in excitement as he notices Brian and Drew approaching from the garden, with Emmett walking slowly between them.

 

Justin takes a step back to make room for the three men as they enter the drawing room.

 

Carl pulls up the armchair to let Emmett sit near the fire.

 

Emmett's eyes still dart back and forth, but he seems less restless and disoriented than before. He holds on tight to the white silk scarf Brian had brought.

 

"Did he recognize it?" Justin quietly asks Brian.

 

"It's too early to tell, but it looks as though it did spark something in him. He grabbed the scarf from my hand as soon as I showed it to him, and wouldn't let go," Brian replies.

 

"Would you like a cup of tea, Master Kinney?" Carl asks, after carefully putting a warm blanket around Emmett's knees.

 

"You're too kind, but I think Master Taylor and I had better [J1] leave now. I wouldn't want to put any more strain on you, or on Mr. De Honeycutt," Brian says.

 

"As you wish, Sir," Carl nods. "Thank you for calling on us again. It was very nice to meet you, too, Master Taylor. I hope to see you again soon."

 

"Thank you for your warm hospitality," Justin replies.

 

"Are you coming, Boyd?" Brian addresses his estate manager.

 

"I'll be staying here a while longer, sir," Drew answers. "I might ride to the pine lot later."

 

"Very well, then," Brian says. "Good day, gentlemen," he adds curtly before he and Justin turn to leave.



- An Hour Later, Britin -

 

"Master Taylor and I will be having lunch in the dining room today," Brian notifies Schmidt, as the butler greets him and the young master in the grand hallway. "Let Mrs. Novotny know we'll have her Irish stew with dumplings and caper sauce, and plenty of it. Oh, and bring us a bottle of the 1881 Port from the cellar," Brian tells his butler.

 

"Very well, Sir," Schmidt answers, as he helps the master and his companion take off their capes and hats.

 

"Sir..." Schmidt says formally.

 

"What is it, Schmidt?" Brian inquires.

 

"There's someone here to see you, Sir.  I told him to wait for you in the morning room," Schmidt clarifies.

 

"I wonder what that is all about," Justin whispers as both men enter the morning room. 

 

"Mr. Kinney," the waiting man stands up and extends his hand to Brian. "I'm Benjamin Bruckner from Bruckner and Marcus, Attorneys at Law, in New York City, Sir," the man introduces himself.

 

"What is the purpose of your visit here?" Brian asks, lifting his eyebrows at the tall man who's dressed in a black suit with a white blouse and a white cravat.

 

"I've come here to discuss a matter of utmost importance with you," Mr. Bruckner answers, pointing to a dark brown leather briefcase on a small table near the sitting area.

 

Brian nods, hoping the matter at hand doesn't have anything to do with the vile Mr. Gold, who's now in police custody. Brian glances at Justin who still stands in the corner of the room. "This is my companion, Master Justin Taylor," Brian introduces Justin. "I'd like for him to stay here while we discuss this matter."

 

"Very well, Sir," Mr. Bruckner replies.

 

Justin steps forward and sits on the sofa beside Brian.

 

"Can we offer you some tea, Mr. Bruckner?" Justin asks the guest.

 

"No, thank you," Mr. Bruckner answers curtly, reaching for his briefcase.

 

Justin nods politely, even though he's still apprehensive as to the nature of this visitor, and what he might bring forth. Brian has been through so much, but things seemed to be settling down. Brian's melancholy mood has been lifted a bit since they drove back from visiting Emmett at the cottage. He hopes the visitor won't do or say anything to alter that.

 

TBC...